Re: [Debconf-team] DC13 localteam meeting minutes 22/03/2012

Hi Gaudenz,

> The DC13 localteam recently had a first in person meeting after the bid
> decision. The meeting minutes are in the wiki [1]. Please keep in mind
> while the minutes are quite verbose in some parts they are primarily
> intended for the meeting attendees. Please ask if you don't understand
> something.

I just skimmed it, as today I want to focus my work on having the
registration ready, or almost so at least ;-) Anyway, it seems like
very good and organized work, and I do look forward to having you all
cloaser into the team!

> We are well aware that the global team is currently very busy with
> organizing DC12. That's why we'd like to disturbe you as little as
> possible.

Wait, wait, hold it right there!

I (and I think I'm talking for all of the long-running orga team)
prefer NOT to have this separation. I know every year's situations are
different, but maybe the point that put most stress in the DC11 cycle
was that -due to many reasons, not worth getting into the gory details
right now- we operated as a global team "overseeing" the work of a
local team - but at times, it seemed we were in competition, and the
lack of communication was often frustrated for both. We really would
prefer having no real boundary between locals and globals, at least to
the possible extent.

> On the other hand we have to make sure that the DC13 team does
> not get too disconnected from the global team. We discussed the relation
> to the global team in our meeting. Have a look at the relevant section
> in our minutes. [2] I would also like to schedule a BoF at DC12 to
> discuss global <-> localteam relations as this is probably the only
> chance to meet in person before DC13.

Right. Of course, as Cate said, it seems we prefer you to "do the
work" - All local work, specially at this point, must be carried out
by you. And there WILL be a real divide between the teams, no point in
trying to hide it. However, we should try to make the teams as
integrated as possible.

Gaudenz says, "responsible for DebConf, they give us work
(contractors, delegators), they help us / we help them doing work" —
No, I don't see it that way (or didn't understand correctly). We (and
I don't only mean "we the three delegates", but "we the team that runs
DebConf over and over" - This year due to different reasons several
people have had to reduce their involvement, but we do expect a global
team larger than us three) don't "give you" work, but try to guide
what you are able to provide regarding our past experiencies in other
DebConfs.

> I also propose to CC meeting agendas and minutes to debconf-team, but to
> keep most of the rest of the communication on the localteam list for
> now. Of course with the exception of things that need direct cooperation
> or input from the global team. That way your attention does not get
> distracted by DC13 stuff and we can keep working on those things we have
> to do now to make DC13 a success.

Which language is the DC13 list on? I have not thought of joining as I
don't understand any of Switzerland's national languages... But if
it's English, then I'll get in. And I invite the others to do the
same.

Oh! And finally: The migration of our system to Frab was mentioned
several times. It would be great - But it's a task that must be
carried out long before DebConf (i.e. I'd aim at somewhere before
Nov/Dec 2012). We have to give it a good thought: One of the reasons
not to migrate now was preserving the whole dataset, but for
simplicity sake, we should consider the amount of data we will
migrate, and the amount that will just be an acceptable loss (i.e. I
don't really think we should care about who killed who in Assassins
2007). Anyway, that should be discussed later on.

Greetings,