Re: [Debconf-team] debconf10 budget: ballpark figures?

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 10:33:37AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 04:54:01PM -0400, Richard Darst wrote:
> > > - invoices "range", i.e. minimum and maximum amount you expect we will
> > >   have to pay for outstanding invoices
> >
> > Our budget will be updated here as it's worked out:
> >   http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debconf-data/dc10/budget.ods
>
> Thanks for keeping updating the budget. However, I don't think that
> spreadsheet completely address my need of information (or maybe I'm just
> too dumb to figure out from it the info I need). In particular, in that
> file I only see the overall budget of debconf10, but I've no visibility
> of the cash flow between Debian SPI money and the DebConf budget. So I'm
> still in the dark about how much I should expect to go out *from Debian
> SPI money* to cover costs that still need to be payed.

Two of my recent posts talked about this a bit:
http://www.debian-administration.org/users/rkd/weblog/5
http://www.debian-administration.org/users/rkd/weblog/6

The important part here is that all of the remaining outstanding
balance will come from Debian accounts, since that is where all the
fundraised money was put in the first place - either FFIS or SPI, as
has been convention for years.

Thus, a more useful question may be "how does what was taken out
compare to what was put in?"

Here is a breakdown on outstanding balances:

Estimated outstanding balance - 109k USD
 - Travel reimbursement: 28k USD  (thus FFIS will partly send this
   out)

Since you seem interested in SPI money in particular, here is some
extra info:
- No money has been transferred FFIS->SPI yet.  Thus, if desired
  DebConf could do transfers here to restore SPI to a higher level.
- DC9 had a large surplus.  I'm not sure where that is held, but I
  might expect a lot of it is in FFIS.  Thus, don't think that a lower
  SPI than a year ago necessarily means that DebConf is depleting
  Debian funds, it's just been shifted around (and could be shifted
  back)

About the overall picture:

As best I can figure now, there is a 33k USD surplus from just
DebConf10.  This assumes *no* extra Debian money (so basically DebConf
has not used the travel sponsorship backup you offered).  This *does*
include the DC9 surplus of 70k USD.

DC9 received 20k USD of extra Debian money (to cover travel
sponsorship).  This means that DC9+DC10 together actually have a
surplus of more than 10k USD.  DC9 had surpluses of about 10k USD from
DC8, so you could say this isn't too bad of an outcome.

I don't have a sufficient paper trail to reconstruct all of the
individual transactions, and Michael can probably do that quicker and
better anyway.  I also think some smaller items may not have been
recorded yet.  I wish I could be more clear about how much money DC10
has taken out of {SPI,FFIS} and how much was put into {SPI,FFIS}, but
I don't have all the records.  I think that other people would be
better suited to figuring this all out, after we get the final bills.

Regardless, I think it's safe to say that DC10 hasn't resulted in a
deficit, if you consider the surplus last year, and could even be
considered to have repaid the Debian money from DC9.

I should be awake again by your evening time if you wanted to ask more
directed questions on #debconf-team then - and there will be other
people around who can help with what I don't know, too.

- Richard