Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf10 - call for Location proposals

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 01:13:34PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 01:26:54PM -0300, Sebastian Galletto wrote:
> > I entered to the US about one year ago with my Argentinean passport that
> > have fingerprint (here in Argentina we use the fingerprint for all kind
> > of IDs since many years) and the immigration officers taken another copy
> > of three of my fingerprints with a digital scanner. They also threatened
> > me with a very bad mood, and made me a lot of questions. That's why I
> > don't want to go back to the US again.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that. There are certainly some stupid people doing border
> security for the US, though a number of other countries also suck in this
> regard. (Argentina was great.) They should not be making threats, and most of
> them don't, even though some undoubtedly do. Getting a lot of questions is
> common in many countries, not just the US, even for American white males like
> me. (It's happened in Canada customs and Netherlands airport security for me,
> in addition to US customs for me once or twice.)

I remember a post blog from andrew pollock after a meeting in spain a couple
of years ago where he related a ugly experience in the spanish immigration
control. I am sure there is more people out there with ugly stories in the
spanish inmmigration checks and much more with people who did not have any
problem at all...

This depends on the people working there, you can meet somebody having a bad
day, somebody very nice and somebody who is just unpolite by default.

Ana