Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf10 - call for Location proposals

Andreas Tille dijo [Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 09:51:21AM +0200]:
> Well, I understand your frustration about several things said here.  But I might
> add another reason which is probably neutral about US behaviour about
> visitors: I have to apply for a passport that includes my fingerprint if I want
> to go to US.  But I also do not really like to have my own government to keep
> my fingerprint in their databases.  If I want to avoid this I can not attend a
> DebConf in US (and so I do not consider attending).

AFAICT, at least from my experience (rules may differ for Europeans,
as you don't need a separate visa), this point is not true. Mexican
passports have never had fingerprints on, even though my government
has them on several other official documents.

USA visas do, however - My visa has my fingerprints and photos encoded
in it. Maybe that's the reason they won't require us such a passport -
because they trust more their visas than our passports :)

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23