Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 12:31:07PM -0400, micah anderson wrote:
> Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius@gmail.com> writes:

> >> I find audio and video of the primary speaker and the slides very
> >> valuable. I'm a little lost as to why people want video of the crowd or
> >> those asking questions. Why isn't audio sufficient for that?

> > It has been mentioned before and I somewhat agree - for a non-native
> > English speaker it is often easier to understand people if you see
> > them speak as that give some more visual cues on what they are saying.
> > This becomes even more important when the tone of the question might
> > be important. In addition, the peronality of the people asking the
> > question (in case of known people) is also important for a fuller
> > understanding. Not taping the video of the person asking the question
> > makes the people watching livestream or the recordings miss ... half
> > of the picture? (pun was not intended, originally)

> As a native English speaker, I can tell you that its often difficult
> even for me to understand people in recorded Q&A sessions, however I
> have never felt like I noticeably benefited in understanding someone
> that I was otherwise having difficulty understanding by seeing the
> person... if anything I was distracted by the attempts by the pan/zoom
> attempts to find the person speaking, like some kind of Price is Right
> contestant show-down.

As a native English speaker with hearing issues, seeing the person talking
is almost essential to me being able to understand what is being said (even
with subtitles). Facial cues are so important to me.

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net | harmoney@debian.org

At times, you may end up far away from home;
you may not be sure of where you belong anymore.
But home is always there...  because home is not a place.
It's wherever your passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski