Re: [Debconf-discuss] Zagreb <--> Banja Luka

Please, don't send HTML e-mail...

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:58:39PM -0500, vedran wrote:
> Hello Josip.
>
> We understand your concerns but from our perspective things doesn't look
> so disorganized. Yes there is still a lot of missing points but at least
> there are well defined general guidelines about travel. Zagreb --> Banja
> Luka are very well connected with buses so even if you come to Zagreb
> without any preparation, you would not have any difficulty comming to Banja
> Luka. (Although i believe you will have all necessary guidelines on
> time.)  Just please don't make panic.

There's no panic, we'll just quietly miss out on people who will see that
their travel options are not too good or are undefined. Mind, this isn't
really a precedent - I myself didn't go to that remote Spanish place a
couple of years ago because I wasn't happy with their travel logistics,
even if it was relatively close.

> Also, today Adnan presented DebConf11 organization at ODRS/CLUC event in
> Zagreb (www.dorscluc.org) and invited more more people to join travel team
> and help with those issues in case you are coming via Zagreb. People ware
> very interested in DebConf11 today so i have no doubt there will be some
> volunteers from Zagreb helping about this issue.

See, no, the trick is to let all those foreigners feel comfortable enough to
take care of themselves. Even if you had people literally taking the time
and effort to drive individual passengers from one location to another, that
still doesn't instill confidence about the whole trip in the mind of a
potential traveller, it can even detract from it - "awfully nice of
those people to drive me, but does that mean it's not safe for me to go at
it alone? what happens if something goes wrong?".

So, for example, in the case of the silly Okucani train layover issue, what
we need is simply someone who would go and find out basic information - e.g.
which buses stop at which exact place over there, how far is the bus stop
from the train stop, does the bus schedule e.g. depend on the carrier or
even the particular line, is the ticket paid on a station or in the vehicle,
etc - and then write these things down in English for everyone else to see.

Even if the answer to the very first question in the above list is negative
and we have to drop that route from the itinerary, that would actually be
much better than the current situation where it's left undefined for a fair
bit of time. It's that uncertainty that raises eyebrows.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.