Re: [Debconf-discuss] Zagreb <--> Banja Luka

Philip Hands writes ("Re: [Debconf-discuss] Zagreb <--> Banja Luka"):
> I'd say that that fact makes the presence or otherwise of a DebConf
> shuttle largely irrelevant -- if you're OK with the normal bus service,
> and you're at a busy time, you'll get the nice surprise of being picked
> up from the airport.  If you're upset by the bus service, the DebConf
> bus isn't going to be much different, so you should probably make your
> own plans anyway.

One difficulty with planning the use of a local bus is that a foreign
traveller may not know how to use them.  They may not be able to find
how and where to buy a ticket; how much the ticket will cost; what
means of payment might be accepted (since Croatia uses different
currency).  They might not find where the bus departs from, and as a
result might miss it; they might not know when to get off the bus
either.  They won't know whether it is possible to buy a ticket and
take the bus without speaking any local languages.  (Some of these
problems exist to a certain extent with trains too, but buses are
generally harder.)

Not everyone who we want at Debconf is a seasoned international
traveller, confident and experienced at dealing with unfamiliar
transport systems, navigating and staying in unfamiliar cities, and
organising everything themselves.

I would have therefore hoped that the Debconf local team would have
provided comprehensive information, answering these kinds of
questions.

However, I'm sorry to say, that this has not been the case.

General questions along the lines of "how do we get from Zagreb" have
been answered with "don't worry, we will lay on a shuttle bus" (and
now we find that for some people there won't, as might be expected).

Specific questions like "are there buses from Banja Luka to Okucani on
such and such a date and such and such a time" have gone unanswered.

> -- if on the other hand you lose the will to live (as I did) and
> realise that the information that you needed to decide that searching
> for alternatives was hopeless is either missing or hidden on the wiki
> page, perhaps you can improve on what's there so that those who come
> after you are better informed.

Most of the information we need about local travel cannot be found on
the Internet in general, and the wiki is badly organised and not
particularly authoritative.

What we need is a more comprehensive supply of instructions, and
answers to these questions, from the local team.  What it should have
said is:

  For travellers arriving by train:

  Trains run between Zagreb and Sarajevo, calling at Banja Luka, but
  are quite slow, and there are only two trains a day in each
  direction.  The times can be found <here>.  Tickets need to be
  bought at the departure station in <currencies and means of payment
  accepted at each station>; booking in advance is not needed.

  Buses are available between Banja Luka and Zagreb, <and are also /
  but do not exist all> between Banja Luka and Okucani.  The times are
  <as follows>.  Tickets can be purchased <in currencies> and drivers
  will <speak only Croatian so you are doomed / something more
  helpful>.  etc. etc.  etc.  <directions from rail station to place
  to buy bus tickets, and to bus stop> <information about when to get
  off the
  bus>

  For travellers arriving by air:

  We recommend flying to Zagreb and taking a bus to Banja Luka.  The
  last bus departs Banja Luka at <time, on each relevant day> so if
  you are arriving after then, you should book a hotel in Zagreb.  We
  recommend <hotel, including website and prices>.  The airport
  shuttle bus will <somehow be able to get you to this hotel?>;
  directions from the hotel to the bus to Banja Luka <follow>.

  See above for information about how to use the bus to get from
  Zagreb to Sarajevo.

  We will be laying on some shuttle buses from Zagreb; their times
  have yet to be determined.  If you let us know your flight landing
  time, or train arrival time in Zagreb, along with your email
  address, we may be able to save you the cost and effort of the local
  bus.  But for now assume that you will be taking the local bus as
  described above.

And when questions were asked here we should have not had replies of
the form "don't worry".  We should have had replies of the form
"Thanks for your question.  I have updated the wiki at <url> with
the answer; please let me know if there's anything else you need".

Ideally we would have had this two months ago.

Ian.