Re: [Debconf-discuss] Registration FAQ

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 02:32:47PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> > Quoting MJ Ray (mjr@phonecoop.coop):
> > > I mean the preliminary schedule of which general topics are hoped to
> > > be on which days, so part-time visitors can prioritise [...]
> >
> > I think it's pretty hard to expect something really reliable about
> > this. To my experience, there has never been topic grouping in the
> > schedule and, given the way Debconf sets itself up, I'd bet it will
> > not happen.
>
> Thanks for the reply, but note I didn't ask for "something really
> reliable", but for preliminary.
>
> The lack of topic grouping is a bug in debconf set-up, isn't it?
>
> > It's understandable that it may be disappointing for part-time
> > visitors as you have no idea of the better schedule you should follow
> > (IIRC, you had this problem in EDI). OTOH, when coming from Europe, do
> > you really expect to stay only 3 or 4 days?
>
> Yes, I'd really much prefer that.  If I travel from Europe, I am
> unlikely to be alone (yay health) and others who would probably be
> with me don't care about debconf AFAIK.  Also, as a non-geek, I find
> debconf attendees in general a stressful and tiring group to interact
> with, so I burn out after a few days of that effort. Finally, while
> debian *use* is mostly work for me, debian *development* is mostly a
> hobby.  How many people will spend over a solid week away for their
> hobby each year?  Does debconf not want mainstream developers?

Eh, YMMV, but when I hear people taking a two-week leave from work,
they'll either go on vacation, work on the house, or sit at home and do
something "interesting" -- i.e., hobby stuff.

If you don't *like* your hobby, you're... weird.

Having said that, of course your question is perfectly valid; it would
be nice to have a preliminary schedule when one is ready.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22