Re: [Debconf-discuss] Registration FAQ

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting MJ Ray (mjr@phonecoop.coop):
> > I mean the preliminary schedule of which general topics are hoped to
> > be on which days, so part-time visitors can prioritise [...]
>
> I think it's pretty hard to expect something really reliable about
> this. To my experience, there has never been topic grouping in the
> schedule and, given the way Debconf sets itself up, I'd bet it will
> not happen.

Thanks for the reply, but note I didn't ask for "something really
reliable", but for preliminary.

The lack of topic grouping is a bug in debconf set-up, isn't it?

> It's understandable that it may be disappointing for part-time
> visitors as you have no idea of the better schedule you should follow
> (IIRC, you had this problem in EDI). OTOH, when coming from Europe, do
> you really expect to stay only 3 or 4 days?

Yes, I'd really much prefer that.  If I travel from Europe, I am
unlikely to be alone (yay health) and others who would probably be
with me don't care about debconf AFAIK.  Also, as a non-geek, I find
debconf attendees in general a stressful and tiring group to interact
with, so I burn out after a few days of that effort. Finally, while
debian *use* is mostly work for me, debian *development* is mostly a
hobby.  How many people will spend over a solid week away for their
hobby each year?  Does debconf not want mainstream developers?

(I'm not unusual in hobby-developing: fewer than 1 in 8 free software
users in general are doing it to make money, according to surveys like
Ghosh, 2004; by nearly all estimates I've seen, less than 50% of
developers earn money from it at all (Political Motives of Developers
for Collaboration on GNU/Linux, Tobias Escher, 2004-07).)

> Debconf is, more or less by definition, something that you really
> benefit from when you participate to the entire event, really.

It's a shame if there's no willingness to make debconf more easily
accessible to a wider range of developers.  It seems likely to lead to
forking as we grow, with all the drawbacks that involves.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef