Re: [Debconf-discuss] Call for keys for keysigning in Edinburgh during DebConf7

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 17:51 +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

> I really see few people that check identity AND the email (people tend
> to sign all key-identity of a key).

In my experience most people verify that you can receive e-mail at the
specified address by signing each identity, encrypting the signature
with your public key, and sending it *to* the e-mail address for that
identity.  I have three e-mail identities in my key, and almost
invariably receive an e-mail to each of them.

For you to then get that to the keyservers you must:
 - receive the e-mail, proving the e-mail address works
 - decrypt the signature, proving your access to the private key

That seems to me to actually be quite a thorough confirmation of the
e-mail address.

Cheers,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
      It may or may not be worthwhile, but it still has to be done.