Re: sudo security Was: Reporting missing package during install

On 11/12/13 08:01, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
  > Encrypt your hard disk.

Hoping that the encryption you use has no backdoor.
You do understand what the peer review process is right? Although not a magic bullet, it can help weed this out.

Choose a *very* good password.
For the encryption, I suppose. That once one has his hands on the
hardware there is no user/prom/bios password stopping his intrusion.

Oh please. A BIOS password does nothing if your computer is stolen. Just remove the disk and put it in another one.

  > Unless they are a honey trap - and then you can see what is actually
  > trying to break into your network

Honey trap are honey trap, not unguarded computers - I mean computer
people use without care for security.
OK - misunderstanding there - sorry.

Security is a journey, not a destination. No one thing will make your computer use secure. Well, maybe never connecting it to a network is the one major thing you can do. However, that makes it un-usable in my opinion. You can never be completely secure. Just as in the world you can never be completely safe. You have to make compromises.

The one thing I would say is that security by obscurity is worse than no security as it gives you the nice warm glow that you are secure without being so. I see this alot in the commercial world and it really sucks :(

Iain