Re: news about debian-women wiki

On 05/31/2010 05:44 PM, Jonathan Evans wrote:
Sorry, but "there's" is a contraction of "there is" and is by preference to be avoided as it is lazy English. It's not acceptable!

Similarly "don't", "isn't", "it's" are all to be avoided as they technically make no sense whatsoever - you are contracting "do not", "is not". and "it is".

The only appropriate use of 's is to form the possessive of a noun or indefinite pronoun.

It's often seen in written English I know, but if you think about it there's no sense in it.

It seems picky I know, but getting this sort of detail right will give your writing more force.

All the best,
Jon
Top-posting aside, my oppinion is that instead of more force, constructions like 'it is', 'do not' et al.
will only give a sense of artificial writing. Since this 'lazy English'  is used (almost) everywhere, from textbooks
in schools and universities to technical writings, I guess we can use it too.  There are, of course,
situations where 'it is', for example is preferred to using 'it's'. However, using one type of constructing exclusively
is dangerous.

Just my $ 0.02 .

All the best,