Re: news about debian-women wiki

Sorry, but "there's" is a contraction of "there is" and is by preference to be avoided as it is lazy English. It's not acceptable!

Similarly "don't", "isn't", "it's" are all to be avoided as they technically make no sense whatsoever - you are contracting "do not", "is not". and "it is".

The only appropriate use of 's is to form the possessive of a noun or indefinite pronoun.

It's often seen in written English I know, but if you think about it there's no sense in it.

It seems picky I know, but getting this sort of detail right will give your writing more force.

All the best,
Jon

On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 02:08 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Sun,30.May.10, 17:21:37, francis southern wrote:
> On 30 May 2010 17:02, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun,30.May.10, 23:37:22, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> >> >
> >> I'd say "Ana Guerrero announced that the migration of the Debian-Women wiki
> >> into Debian's wiki is now complete. There's still a little work to
> >
> > s/there's/there is/
> "there's" is a perfectly acceptable contraction of "there is".

Of course, I just don't like it in writing, or at least not in official
announcements ;)

> >> do  : if you want
> >
> > Maybe a semi-colon here?
> >
> >> to contribute, take a look at the migration TODO list."

> >> "contributions are welcome, according to the migration TODO list."
> >
> > I prefer the first wording.
> Maybe you prefer it, but it isn't correct.

I didn't mean the s/accordingly/according/ (which is a grammar issue),
but the first wording of the entire phrase versus this one.

And to elaborate, for me as a non-native speaker the second phrasing
seems to say that either "the TODO says contributions are welcome" or
"contributions are welcome, but only according to/following the TODO".
The first phrase, at least to me, is more... "inviting" ;)

Regards,
Andrei