Re: Google ads on debian.org

* Manoj Srivastava (srivasta@debian.org) wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:09:40 -0500, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> said:
> > It's amazing what money can buy?
>
> 	I am aware of the corrupting lure of the love of money, yes ;-)

I'm sure you are, but that's again why I think it's more of an issue to
worry about when the money is available to someone to do something with
as opposted to how the money became available. :)

> > It's possible it could be used to get some things open sourced which
> > aren't already available (which I believe has been done in the
> > past), it could be used for additional obscure hardware, it could be
> > used to help Debian developers meet face-to-face which aids in
> > coordination...
>
> 	Are you aware of concrete deficiencies, or is this a
>  hypothetical for the sake of argument?  I have found that specific
>  needs tend to get addressed by our established modus operandi
>  (getting beefier hardware for alioth is one such effort I am
>  currently cognizant of)

I'm sure there's software out there which it'd be nice to have as open
source that isn't currently.  Paying for it might not be the best way
(though someone else in this thread did mention the possibility of
asking google to open source their code in exchange for ad space... ;)
but it's something to consider.  I'm aware that we get hardware
donations, which are very nice, though sometimes it seems like it takes
longer due to our existing processes to get equipment when we need it
than if we allowed ourselves to buy it.  The other issue is getting
obscure older hardware which can be problematic sometimes.

It was mostly hypothetical though, yes.

	Stephen