Re: Google ads on debian.org

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:09:40 -0500, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> said:

> * Manoj Srivastava (srivasta@debian.org) wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:53:46 -0500, Stephen Frost
>> <sfrost@snowman.net> said:
>>
>> > It's not clear to me that having ads would make them
>> > 'commercial'.  This would be something that would have to be run
>> > by the appropriate people at SPI.  I doubt tbm would have brought
>> > it up if it would cause a problem for the non-profit status of
>> > SPI.
>>
>> Apart from money, is there any benefit to the free software
>> community?

> It's amazing what money can buy?

	I am aware of the corrupting lure of the love of money, yes ;-)

> It's possible it could be used to get some things open sourced which
> aren't already available (which I believe has been done in the
> past), it could be used for additional obscure hardware, it could be
> used to help Debian developers meet face-to-face which aids in
> coordination...

	Are you aware of concrete deficiencies, or is this a
 hypothetical for the sake of argument?  I have found that specific
 needs tend to get addressed by our established modus operandi
 (getting beefier hardware for alioth is one such effort I am
 currently cognizant of)

	manoj
--
"You are WRONG, you ol' brass-breasted fascist poop!" Bloom County