Re: Debian's financial status (was Re: Google ads on debian.org)

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 05:38:52PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader wrote:
> * Helen Faulkner <helen_ml_faulkner@yahoo.co.uk> [2004-12-14 16:41]:
> > (OT)  Is information about Debian's financial status available
> > publically?  Where would I look to be able to form my own opinion as
> > to whether an income stream from such ads, or from other sources, is
> > needed?
>
> If you become a member of SPI, you can subscribe to spi-private and
> will get updates on donations every so often.  I don't think there's

That is correct, and I'd encourage Debian developers to do that.  The
SPI treasurer and assistant treasurer post notifications of transactions
once or twice a month.  Most of them relate to Debian.

There are also periodic public updates posted (and we're working to make
these a lot better).  You can often find them in list archives, and in
the meeting minutes, which are posted to spi-announce.

Finally, there is the annual report, which was most recently published
this past summer.  You can find it at
http://www.spi-inc.org/~jgoerzen/ar2004/

At that time, approximately $37,500 was held for Debian, though this
number may have changed.  (I don't think it's substantially changed in
either direction since then, though you'd need to speak to the SPI
treasurer to be certain).

Debian also has other assets, such as machine hardware.  I am not aware
of any comprehensive listing of those.

-- John