Re: Google ads on debian.org

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 05:08:41PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader wrote:
> I received the following message from someone at Google:
>
> > Google is interested in advertising on debian.org.  I realize your
> > site currently isn't running any advertising, however what we're
> > proposing is much different, and complimentary to your sites goal.
>
> Normally, I reply to advertising requests on debian.org with a polite
> "no".  However, given that google ads are widely considered different
> to normal ads, and might even enhance a web site, I thought I'd ask on
> -project to see what other people think.

I'd prefer to make this a polite "no" as well.  I don't think debian
should have any adds, let alone some that can't be controlled at all.

Futermore it would create lots of trouble.  Just think about the
number of emails of random people we get on -project about totally
unrelated servers who run debian and even explicitly say that debian
has nothing to do with them.  You expect them to realise the ad has
noting to do with debian?

A polite "no" would be great.

Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom