Re: RFS: clipit

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:16:08AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Cristian Henzel wrote:
> > dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libpthread.so.0 could be avoided
> > if "debian/clipit/usr/bin/clipit" were not uselessly linked against it
> > (they use none of its symbols).
> >
> > but this last one is unnecessary, because my program actually uses
> > functions from libpthread.so (pthread_exit), so it needs that library...
>
> Hum, libc.so.6 also has that symbol (and dpkg-shlibdeps finds it there
> first), that's why dpkg-shlibdeps thinks it's not necessary.
>
> But I hear those symbols on libc6 are weak and thus the one provided by
> libpthread are used. Thus this warning is rather bogus apparently. Would
> you please file a bug report against dpkg-dev for this?

If you don't actually use threads, the stubs provided by glibc will be used
(they are mostly no-ops).  This is done to avoid the need for every library
to come in a single-threaded and a multi-threaded version and yet pay the
performance costs of threading only when they are actually needed.

The only such function you use is pthread_exit(), so dpkg-shlibdeps is
correct here.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be