Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 12:51:47PM -0500, Michael Poole wrote:
> Andrew Suffield writes:

> > > Who is being a mindless sophist?
> >
> > People who scream every time we find a package with missing source,
> > because obviously it's impossible that any such package could ever be
> > distributed with source, and so by finding them we're making them
> > non-free.
>
> That would be an interesting argument if there were no reasonable
> basis to disagree about what "source code" means in the context of a
> JPEG.  The point of my mail was that there often is no clear (or
> usable or freely manipulable; the relevant metric may vary) "source
> code" version of a lossily compressed image.

Your point is misplaced. It has got nothing to do with what I wrote.

> > Wrong part of the thread, we've been here already. This is not
> > directly relevant.
>
> What part of requiring layered formats for images makes it irrelevant
> that there is no layered format "source" for certain images?

Wrong part of the thread. Despite your repeated efforts to change the
subject, the mails you are replying to are still not directly about
definitions of 'source'.

> > > In a significant number of cases, requiring layered formats for source
> > > will mean that DDs must create DFSG-sanitized "orig" tarballs by
> > > removing images that upstream distributes.
> >
> > Or by adding images that upstream did not distribute. You're doing it
> > as well. "Delete it" is *not* the only possible answer to a buggy
> > package. Stop pretending that it is.
>
> "Delete it" *is* the only option for DFSG-incompatible files, although
> a patch may later substitute a file that satisfies your whims.

No. I can only assume malicious intent on your part at this point, as
you have now twice directly ignored my indications of alternatives,
and continue to spread FUD about them not existing.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |