Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:53:34AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>> What freedom are you trying to protect by claiming that JPEGs are not
>>> adequately modifiable? Do you wish to apply this argument to all JPEGs?
>>
>> The freedom to modify the images to suit my purposes, of course. See
>> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html
>
> Right. If I create an image and only save it as a JPEG (say I've taken a
> picture with a digital camera and then overlayed some text on top of
> it), is that sufficient to satisfy DFSG 1?

No, for a photograph the source is the actual physical object you've
made a picture of, so a photograph can never be free.  Either this, or
a photograph should be considered as source.

In your case, your best bet would probably be to provide the
photograph without the text, or (even better) provide the image in a
more advanced format (e.g. XCF) with the photograph and text in
different layers.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@inprovide.com