Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On Fri, Aug 14 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Er, the point is that you've plucked this "apt-get debug" out of the
> *Ubuntu* spec, <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AptElfDebugSymbols>; that spec
> is considered implemented, Ubuntu doesn't have such a debug command,
> and Emilio's proposal at
> <http://wiki.debian.org/AutomaticDebugPackages> makes no mention of
> implementing this.  Yet your messages come across as though you think
> it's a foregone conclusion that this command is going to be
> implemented.

        Well, I was nort looking at the Ubuntu spec at all, but I might
 have been mislead into a false sense of security:

From:  Philipp Kern <trash@philkern.de>
Subject:  Re: Automatic Debug Packages

From: Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu27@gmail.com>

>>> Yes, dpkg, apt-get, aptitude and synaptic all work perfectly fine.

        Given that assurance that aptitude and synaptic will know how to
 install ddebs, I said that satisfies my concern. I don't actually care
 what the command keyword used is, it may well be
   aptitude Avara-Kadavara foo-debug for all I care.

        Are you saying that the assurance had no merit?

> So given that specification of apt-get commandline options *definitely*
> doesn't belong in Policy, and no one has agreed to implement 'apt-get
> debug', I think you might want to make your concerns about the package
> management tools explicit.

        Well, before this issue is nailed down and writ into policy, the
 use cases for on-line webdav/nfs/share based debugging (including
 issues of where things are cached, how long they are cached, whether
 the bandwidth requirements make it infeasible), as well as the download
 debug packages method details need to be hammered out.

        I do think that we need to have some kind of broad architecture
 of the solution in place for the common use cases before we can
 actually craft policy, and so far, I am very fuzzy about the aolution
 architecture.

        manoj
--
In order to discover who you are, first learn who everybody else is;
you're what's left.