Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On 2009-08-13, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>> Ah, and it looks like the automated crash reporting offers to download the
>> -dbgsym packages and install them.
>         Reading the spec, it seems to me that the primary motivation was
>  for users to provide crash dumps with bug reports, and not much screen
>  time is given to users debugging their own applications linked to
>  vendor libraries, or for the developer user  in general. I think that
>  use case should be addressed as well.

This use case is IMHO implicitly addressed by making them downloadable
and installable on the local system.

And I have to agree with Emilio that I don't see the point of a 1:1
relationship of ddeb to binary package just for the sake of library
transitions.  I wonder if we could just unpack the debugging build-id
objects to some other location than globally and point gdb to that
in addition to the global debug store.

Someone should've pointed a summary of how Ubuntu does it, it seems.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern