Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu27@gmail.com> writes:
> Roger Leigh wrote:

>> This fails to address the rather valid concern brought up about having
>> different versions of libraries and binaries installed from the same
>> source package.  Having one .ddeb per binary would solve this
>> elegantly.

> Except that in that case, the old library will be NBS and thus I see no
> point why you would want to keep it installed. The only reason would be
> if it was meant to stay around, but in that case I'm sure the source
> package names would be different.

Because you're trying to debug a binary on your system that's linked
against it.

>> It's also rather space-inefficient for the user.

> If that bothers you, you can use the share we plan to provide.

I'm very curious to see more details about how this is going to work.  It
sounds like we may need to hold off making any decisions or Policy changes
here until the details of that system is worked out if the normal delivery
system for the things in .ddebs won't be via package installation.