Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 12:55:38PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >>         The debug command addresses my concerns here.

> > You know this command doesn't actually exist, right?  AFAIK it's only
> > referenced in an Ubuntu wiki spec, and this part of that spec doesn't appear
> > to have been implemented.

>         As far as I can see none of this is actually present now. The
>  archive scripts have not been modified, there is not debug/* archive
>  section, there are no downloadable share, yada et al helper packages
>  have not yet been modified.

>         So I would actually have been very surprised were
>  aptitude/synaptic ahead of the curve and had current support.

>         This whole thread seems to be about getting policy to write up
>  things, with most of the proposal currently not implemented in
>  Debian.  Now, I think you meant to warn me that some of the currently
>  proposed features do not have code in other distributions either, and
>  that's fair warning.

Er, the point is that you've plucked this "apt-get debug" out of the
*Ubuntu* spec, <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AptElfDebugSymbols>; that spec is
considered implemented, Ubuntu doesn't have such a debug command, and
Emilio's proposal at <http://wiki.debian.org/AutomaticDebugPackages> makes
no mention of implementing this.  Yet your messages come across as though
you think it's a foregone conclusion that this command is going to be
implemented.

So given that specification of apt-get commandline options *definitely*
doesn't belong in Policy, and no one has agreed to implement 'apt-get
debug', I think you might want to make your concerns about the package
management tools explicit.