Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu27@gmail.com> writes:
>> Roger Leigh wrote:
>
>>> This fails to address the rather valid concern brought up about having
>>> different versions of libraries and binaries installed from the same
>>> source package.  Having one .ddeb per binary would solve this
>>> elegantly.
>
>> Except that in that case, the old library will be NBS and thus I see no
>> point why you would want to keep it installed. The only reason would be
>> if it was meant to stay around, but in that case I'm sure the source
>> package names would be different.
>
> Because you're trying to debug a binary on your system that's linked
> against it.

Then you should work on making your package build with the new library, since it
will be FTBFS anyway :)

I don't consider this a real issue.

>>> It's also rather space-inefficient for the user.
>
>> If that bothers you, you can use the share we plan to provide.
>
> I'm very curious to see more details about how this is going to work.  It
> sounds like we may need to hold off making any decisions or Policy changes
> here until the details of that system is worked out if the normal delivery
> system for the things in .ddebs won't be via package installation.

There will still be a repository with all the .ddebs. But also we will have a
share that will ship all the debugging symbols in a build id file hierarchy
structure (so something like .build-id/xx/xxxxxxx.debug). You can mount it in
your system and use it as if you had installed every -ddeb available in the
archive. Furthermore, if disk space permits it, we will provide symbols for more
than one version (i.e. not only the current package in the archive, but maybe
the last three or whatever we can do), since build ids permit it.

With this in place, we can integrate reporting tools (bug-buddy, drkonqi,
apport) to use that service to magically provide meaningful bug reports with
complete backtraces.

If you use this, you won't need to get a backtrace, realize you're missing some
symbols, install some more debug packages, rinse, repeat... :)

Hope this was clear,
Emilio