Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:34:00 +0000
Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> I'd also agree here. Creating a top level directory to deal with a
> small set of special cases seems like the wrong answer. Mandating that
> there's only a single directory which has to be in a writeable state
> early in the boot process and then leaving it to the admins to make
> sure that that's the case (such as by symlinking it to a directory
> that /will/ be writeable at that point in the boot process) sounds a
> lot saner.

The whole point of a distribution is that it adds consistency.

We as a distribution should setup the filesystem as best we can, not go
most of the way and then "leave it to the admin" to do the the rest.

We can still make /var/run and symlink to /run it will suite all cases,
if the admin (or user) is offended that the root directory count is one
higher, then we can also "leave it to the admin" to change it to the way
[s]he thinks it should be.

"leave it the admin" is just passing the buck.

Glenn