Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

In article <[🔎] 20030312125004.GA30066@evbergen.xs4all.nl>,
Emile van Bergen  <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>I still think it's nice to offer applications (such as scripts that need
>a /run) to offer a generic filesystem interface to virtual memory.
>Scripts can't make syscalls to get at sysV memory segments, but they can
>access files in /ram or /mem.

That has been standarized as /dev/shm

- need shared memory? use /dev/shm
- need to put info somewhere that doesn't have to be kept between
  boots? /var/run
- same but need it before /var is mounted? /run
- same but need it even when / is read-only ? /run, setup by the
  sysadmin to be on a tmpfs

Mike.
--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should
on no account be allowed to do the job -- Douglas Adams.