Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

All this stuff sounds really good, and I guess this is the way to go.
Just a small addition :

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:04:59PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> - if the kernel supports it a shmfs is mounted on /run
> - otherwise if the kernel supports it a ramdisk is mounted on /run
> - the size of the shmfs/ramdisk can be set in /etc/default/rundirsize
>   and is 128K by default. That will give you 94K and 128 inodes
>   for an ext2 filesystem on a ramdisk and 128K for shmfs. That
>   should be plenty, or not?

... or just let the admin configure it in /etc/fstab, with a reasonable
default for standard debian installations (shmfs). Furnish a package
that can setup a ramdisk before local things are mounted (if it doesn't
exist already).

I see no need to make things different for /run than for anything else,
except of course that it should be specified as _not_ being a network
mounted thing.

The postinst of sysvinit would just suggest to add a line in /etc/fstab
while upgrading from pre-/run systems. D-i would include a notice that
/run should be a shmfs, and allow adding shmfs line in /etc/fstab (all
this stuff would be priority medium or low, so that poeple who don't
care/understand will just get a well-suited shmfs in /run.)
Anyway, keeping /run in the root filesystem (if not mounted ro) should
work, so there is no great problem for upgrading or a newbie admin.

> I don't think persistance between boots is important.

Right. We should clear the thing at boot just to ensure it's clean,
however.

--
Jeremie Koenig <sprite@sprite.fr.eu.org>