Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Emile van Bergen wrote:
> > Then you are probably second-guessing the kernel's disk caching, and
> > should be using /tmp or something instead.
>
> The difference between /tmp and a mode 1777 directory in /mem is that
> the capacity/speed tradeoff may be different for each.

With a large emphasis on the "may". /mem may be in swap, and the kernel
may decide to keep everything you write to /tmp in cache. So indeed they
may have inverted properties to what you might assume.

I have never seen a program in all of Debian that legitimatly needs a
ram disk for faster file operations. I've never even run upon one that
claims it needs such a thing. I think your /mem is a solution in search
of a problem.

--
see shy jo