Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Joey Hess wrote:

>I agree with you, except I think it need not be a symlink by default. If
>a pair of symlinks is needed, the admin (or d-i) can make them when they
>are setting up the system with remote /var.

I'd also agree here. Creating a top level directory to deal with a small
set of special cases seems like the wrong answer. Mandating that there's
only a single directory which has to be in a writeable state early in
the boot process and then leaving it to the admins to make sure that
that's the case (such as by symlinking it to a directory that /will/ be
writeable at that point in the boot process) sounds a lot saner.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org