Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

This one time, at band camp, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>Joey Hess wrote:
>
>>I agree with you, except I think it need not be a symlink by default. If
>>a pair of symlinks is needed, the admin (or d-i) can make them when they
>>are setting up the system with remote /var.
>
>I'd also agree here. Creating a top level directory to deal with a small
>set of special cases seems like the wrong answer. Mandating that there's
>only a single directory which has to be in a writeable state early in
>the boot process and then leaving it to the admins to make sure that
>that's the case (such as by symlinking it to a directory that /will/ be
>writeable at that point in the boot process) sounds a lot saner.

In case you hadn't noticed, booting is a special case.  Notice how most
stuff lives in /var and /usr, and not in the similarly named directories in
/?

/run is justified for parts of Debian that require a state directory and are
run before the rest of the operating system has finished starting up.
?

--
jaq@debian.org                               http://people.debian.org/~jaq