Re: SDL c102 transition

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 06:56, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 23:42, Martin Godisch wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 19:27:56 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > > Does SDL need a transition for the C++ ABI ? AFAIK it is pure C code and
> > > shouldn't need it.

Clearly not. I think I was looking through smpeg-coloured glasses.

> > What about libsdl-mixer1.2?
>
> I was about to ask some advice about it. SDL_mixer doesn't contain any
> C++ code, but it links to smpeg which is C++.

What should be done in a case like this, where a non-C++ library links
against a C++ library which will be recompiled using the new ABI?

Since libtool seems to pull in dependencies for libraries, any sdl-mixer
using libraries (and maybe programs?) will be linked against libstdc++.
If and when libsdl-mixer is recompiled against a version of
libsmpegc102, it will pull in libstdc++5. As Steve points out elsewhere
in the thread, this might not result in namespace collisions, but I
anticipate it to be a problem.

How should this be dealt with? Note that it's an issue for a few
libraries:
  libsdl-ruby,libsmpeg0 0.4.4-7
  libsdl-perl,libsmpeg0 0.4.4-7
  libsdl-mixer1.2,libsmpeg0 0.4.4-7
  libopenal0,libsmpeg0 0.4.4-7
  python2.2-pygame,libsmpeg0 0.4.4-7
  python2.1-pygame,libsmpeg0 0.4.4-7

I'm not positive on how language bindings will react to this, but I'm
sure we'll find it interesting to say the least.