Re: What do you wish for in an package manager?

Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 07:54:00PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > personally the plain text database is one of dpkg's greatest assets.
> > its a royal pain to repair a binary database when it gets fscked.  and
> > yes i have already been saved from a total reinstall through the
> > ability to fix dpkg's broken database with a text editor.
> >
> > if your talking about a different database then nevermind.
>
> Berkeley DB to text and back is pretty easy.
>
> Also, I was speaking of binary indices which are even easier to regenerate
> if corrupted.

When I talked about binaries, people flamed me ruthlessly and without
legitimate reasons. Hope your comments make them grok the point.

Having bulky stupid slow text files all around your system is no
guarantee of "recoverability" or "reliability", whatever. Such feature
comes from smart coding, not that things are text.

The ideal system would be that doesn't need your "manual" intervention
to keep things running. Example: checkpointing of package information
which we _don't_ have. Some random postinstall file gets fscked and
the system stalls, then you gotta fix it by hand. Ah, and if a large
portion of the database is gone, there is nothing your stupid hand
can do, anyway.

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr