Re: What do you wish for in an package manager?

"Dwayne C . Litzenberger" <dlitz@dlitz.net> said:

>-- On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 11:44:13AM -0500, Adam Lazur wrote:
>> Dwayne C . Litzenberger (dlitz@dlitz.net) said:
>> > So my question is: What do you wish for in a package
manager?

>> Relocatable packages so a user can do an individual package
install into ~
>> without being r00t (this may be possible now with some dpkg
foo?).

>> The ability to install more than one version of a package
simultaneously.

>Hmm.  That could bring about some problems.  It would require a
large
>re-structuring of the filesystem hierarchy.  Why would you need
this; how
important is this to you?

Don't see why it would require a restructuring of the filesystem
hierarchy.  All that I read that as is allowing a user to install
binaries into his home directory as himself, and have the package
manager know how to find the root db, as well as his.  This would be
very nice to have, as it would allow normal users to run apt / dpkg /
whatever to install things that they run as themselves, and not have
to have the root password.  One of the strengths of Unix is this
ability, but the current packaging doesn't support it (as far as I
know).

jeff smith
thought for the day:  If a guru falls in the forest with no one to
hear him, was he really a
guru at all?
		-- Strange de Jim, "The Metasexuals"