Re: What do you wish for in an package manager?

* Ethan Benson

| personally the plain text database is one of dpkg's greatest assets.
| its a royal pain to repair a binary database when it gets fscked.  and
| yes i have already been saved from a total reinstall through the
| ability to fix dpkg's broken database with a text editor.

semi-intelligent caching where you check if the text file is newer
than the binary file, if so, you use the text file and write a binary
copy to the binary file.  Else, you just load the binary.  Something
screws up?  Delete the binary file.  Make a conffile somewhere so one
can choose to use just text, if one has serious size constraints.

Saves speed, not very hard to implement (without me having looked at
dpkg's code).

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.