Re: release update and branching

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 09:33:06AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Sven Luther (sven.luther@wanadoo.fr):
>
> > Joeyh, do you seriously think we can release this year yet (as in the next 4
> > weeks) ? I don't think there is time for this even if t-p-u was fixed today. I
>
> I'm sure Joey thinks we can release this year, yes. So do I.

Well, given that Colin wearing its RM hat did propose a release schedule
mentioning :

  N+30 days
  0 RC bugs

Where N is the date of the day the t-p-u problem is solved, i can assure you
that there will be no debian release this year :).

> By "release" and "we", I think both Joey and I (and I suspect many
> others) mostly think about Debian Installer release. The "no-name-yet"
> thing which is supposed to follow RC2.

Well, i was clearly speaking about the debian/sarge release.

> The priority at the moment is releasing a version of Debian Installer
> that can be considered and called "stable". Such release will be the
> basis of the general sarge release.

And ? Did i not say that if another d-i build is needed, then a parted change
may be worth it. Not withstanding the fact that it would not be such a big
change to just upgrade parted and partman, Colin is already doing it on a
branch, and the changes are rather trivial.

My concern, as the parted maintainer, was more of the other packages which
reverse depends on parted.

> That release will not be perfect. I'm afraid an installer will never
> be perfect.
>
> We need to say other parts of Debian : "hey, d-i team gives you that
> thing we call a release...please use it for releasing sarge".

Sure, but the main point is, will the sarge release be nextly, or some long
time off ? I was told by Manoj in december 2003 that we didn't want profund
changes to kernel-package, since the release was near, and see how it worked
out. But i understand joeyh's position, and i also understand that he is best
placed to know how the release schedule is, which is why i made that comment,
not meant as a a critic of the d-i release in any way, but a simple fact of
reality. If rc2 will be the final installer, then there is no chance of a
parted change, but if there is going to be another build, or whatever, then we
should go for it. I just wish that i didn't let me convince in august not to
do the API change. Or that someone really would have stand up and helped me
earlier in the parted maintenance, but nobody seems to really care.

And joeyh, if i have offended you by this, i apologize, it was not my
intention.

> We are nearly about doing this with RC2. But, for a few details (one
> major being that all images are currently called "Release Candidate"
> not "Release"), RC2 probably cannot be the thing which will ship on
> Debian sarge official images.

Yeah, ok.

<lot of good points skipped ...>

Friendly,