Re: sarge installer and 3rd party modules

Hi Bart,

I'm no expert but this sounds similar to the problem I had booting off a USB hard drive that I had installed to - only difference seems to be you require a custom module whereas I just needed to pick up some which were there but were not being used. Have a look at the instructions in my installation report...

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/11/msg01601.html

you'd need to put your module in the target as well obviously, not sure how you'd do that.

It'd be great if the installer made adding extra/custom modules easier than this... still you can't have everything I suppose ;-).

geoff

Bart Duchesne wrote:
Hi all,

I've been trying to get my system installed with the latest sarge-netinst image using a USB flashdisk.

I have a supermicro system containing a marvell 4-port SATA controller, I received the driver source from supermicro compiled it for 2.6.8-1-386 and put the resulting module on the USB stick.

The installer boots allows me to configure country/language/keyboard, before the install program itself starts I exit to a shell and load the mv_sata.ko driver, it loads correctly and disks are detected. I can continue to setup the system (even the RAID ; it surprised me but you guys made really a great installer). But when installing the base system, there suddendly comes an error while creating the initrd image that it cannot find the mv_sata module and the installer stops.

What is the best way to include a 3rd party module that works as it should in the installer process ?

regards,

Bart Duchesne