Re: Upcoming xorg-server upload

        Hi, guess we are coming to an end :)

* Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> [2011-05-03 17:54:11 CEST]:
> Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> (03/05/2011):
> >  I would assume that the scripts within the xserver-xorg-dev-helper
> > package do not only have a use for backports but also for wheezy/sid,
> > otherwise I would be puzzled about their inclusion in a package therein?
>
> That package is only there for use in backports; that's what Alexander
> suggested (on IRC since that was preferred over mail). xserver-xorg-dev
> in wheezy and higher contains the necessary bits. xserver-xorg-dev-helper
> is just there to make it possible to build the wheezy drivers in a
> squeeze environment, computing dependencies and the like. Users
> wouldn't install it (only buildds and backporters).

 Actually I wouldn't want to guess too much what users would or wouldn't
install here - I've seen too many awkward situations. Situation is that
the newly created xserver-xorg-dev-helper package for squeeze-backports
will contain files that are shipped in xserver-xorg-dev in wheezy/sid
and thus create a file conflict. If someone, for whatever reason
whatsoever, has installed the xserver-xorg-dev-helper package from
backports and upgrades, including xserver-xorg-dev, their upgrade will
break because of the filename conflicts.

 To avoid that, please include the safety net guided by debian-policy,
even if the situation might sound crafted to you. It might well be so,
but better safe than sorry and it doesn't hurt, does it?

 Thanks for considering,
Rhonda