Re: Upcoming xorg-server upload

   Hi.

* Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> [2011-05-03 14:50:07 CEST]:
> Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> (02/05/2011):
> >  Would it be possible to have a Provides, Replaces, Conflicts added to
> > xserver-xorg in unstable on xserver-xorg-dev-helper, and have this
> > versioned 2:1.9.5-1~bpo60+1? I guess that should make upgrade possible
> > in the end.
>
> ACK, whatever suits you best for the versioning.

 Thanks, some people like to rely on being able to tell from the version
of a package whether it is from backports or not (how flawed that
assumption might be or not be is nothing I want to discuss here). I know
this is a special package that will exist only in squeeze-backports and
nowhere else, including a future wheezy-backports, but this is a
consistency that I'd like to keep here.

> As for the P/R/C for sid's xserver-xorg-dev, I guess I can add that
> whenever I upload a new revision to sid, but that wouldn't solve any
> real issue IMHO; the only use for xserver-xorg-dev-helper would be in
> squeeze-backports chroots, be it on buildds or development machines
> (for people preparing backports). And having the conflicts the other
> way round already makes sure nobody tries to have both installed at
> the same time. Maybe that would be good enough?

 The other way round makes no sense to me to be honest, maybe I wasn't
clear with what I meant. Situation is this:

 You create a new package for backports, named xserver-xorg-dev-helper,
which contains scripts that live in unstable in the package
xserver-xorg-dev. Is this right so far?

 So the P/R/C in xserver-xorg-dev in unstable will then replace the
xserver-xorg-dev-helper package on upgrade, and given that it takes over
all its files, will make it get removed from the dpkg database.

 I would assume that the scripts within the xserver-xorg-dev-helper
package do not only have a use for backports but also for wheezy/sid,
otherwise I would be puzzled about their inclusion in a package therein?
Are they really scripts only for the purpose of backports? If so, why
are they included then in wheezy/sid?

 Thanks for your answer in advance,
Rhonda