Re: Upcoming xorg-server upload

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (01/05/2011):
> The changelog would look like:
> | xorg-server (2:1.7.7-13+bpo60+1) squeeze-backports; urgency=low
> |
> |   * Rebuild for squeeze-backports.
> |   * Introduce dh_xsf_substvars, to be used in driver packages to set
> |     appropriate substitution variables for Depends and Provides, before
> |     calling dh_gencontrol. Ship it in xserver-xorg-dev.
> |   * Also ship a debhelper sequence: xsf.pm, to insert dh_xsf_substvars
> |     before dh_gencontrol. Usage: “dh $@ --with xsf” when using dh.
> |
> |  -- Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>  Sun, 01 May 2011 18:40:36 +0200
>
> Does the version number look right to you?

So after some time on IRC, that was rejected, and a solution based on
a new source/binary package (e.g. xserver-xorg-dev-helper or so) seems
preferred, with a version matching xorg-server's from which it was
extracted.

> (If -14 appears in stable-security or stable, I get to upload the
> backport again so that changes are persistent, if those changes don't
> qualify for stable-security or stable; which is likely to be the
> case.)

Addressing that part (a security/stable update doesn't mean we need to
re-upload to backports again), but meaning I have to take care of the
upgrade path since that new package and xserver-xorg-dev in wheezy or
sid will ship the same files and be in conflict.

Or maybe I'll just forget about this whole backport idea, that starts
looking like too much work for something that could have gone much
more easily…

Mraw,
KiBi.