Re: Getting the Nouveau driver in Lenny and a half
- To: Henry-Nicolas Tourneur <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Getting the Nouveau driver in Lenny and a half
- From: Michel Dänzer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:24:48 +0100
- Message-id: <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <1237593171.6572.14.camel@Virgil>
- References: <1237547540.4014.26.camel@Virgil> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <1237565962.6572.6.camel@Virgil> <email@example.com> <1237593171.6572.14.camel@Virgil>
On Sam, 2009-03-21 at 00:52 +0100, Henry-Nicolas Tourneur wrote:
> > No, EXA has been backwards compatible since before xserver 1.1, so the
> > drivers should continue working without a rebuild (and also with one).
> > > For the second solution, I definitely don't know enough either Xorg or
> > > nouveau to know if that would be easy or not.
> > It shouldn't be too hard.
> That's great news, so we have several possible solutions (which is
> good) :
> 1° Easier but not safer : update the whole Xorg
> 2° Adapt the nouveau code to be retro-compatible
> 3° Backport the new EXA interface into Xorg
> 4° Ship extra EXA bits along with xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
> What can be done regarding the Debian policies ? I guess the first
> solution won't made it but for the rest...
> Michel, are you interested in working on it ?
I can provide EXA related advice/guidance, but no more.
Earthling Michel Dänzer | http://www.vmware.com
Libre software enthusiast | Debian, X and DRI developer