Re: Getting the Nouveau driver in Lenny and a half
- To: Henry-Nicolas Tourneur <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Getting the Nouveau driver in Lenny and a half
- From: Michel Dänzer <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:32:06 +0100
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <1237547540.4014.26.camel@Virgil>
- References: <1237547540.4014.26.camel@Virgil>
On Fre, 2009-03-20 at 12:12 +0100, Henry-Nicolas Tourneur wrote:
> 1° Update Xorg to 7.4 and simply compile the futur Nouveau 2D only
> driver release. I'm betting on this won't happen since an Xorg update
> involved really a lot of changes, right ?
> 2° Adapt the nouveau code to support both Xorg 7.3 and newer (and so,
> Nouveau would be able to get compile with the new EXA interface or the
> old one with a 7.3 Xorg). It looks like the Nouveau Devs (or at least,
> Younes Manton) are not opposed to this idea but we might code it our
> self (I mean, they won't work on that so if we want it for Debian, we
> have to code it). Of course, if we start in that way, we should start
> talking with the nouveau devs and get our works in their trunk later.
There are other potential options, e.g.
* Backport EXA changes required by nouveau to the lenny
xserver-xorg-core. This might benefit other drivers as well.
* Ship EXA bits required by nouveau as part of
Earthling Michel Dänzer | http://www.vmware.com
Libre software enthusiast | Debian, X and DRI developer