Re: Getting the Nouveau driver in Lenny and a half
- To: Michel Dänzer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Getting the Nouveau driver in Lenny and a half
- From: Henry-Nicolas Tourneur <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 00:52:51 +0100
- Message-id: <1237593171.6572.14.camel@Virgil>
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- References: <1237547540.4014.26.camel@Virgil> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <1237565962.6572.6.camel@Virgil> <email@example.com>
> No, EXA has been backwards compatible since before xserver 1.1, so the
> drivers should continue working without a rebuild (and also with one).
> > For the second solution, I definitely don't know enough either Xorg or
> > nouveau to know if that would be easy or not.
> It shouldn't be too hard.
That's great news, so we have several possible solutions (which is
1° Easier but not safer : update the whole Xorg
2° Adapt the nouveau code to be retro-compatible
3° Backport the new EXA interface into Xorg
4° Ship extra EXA bits along with xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
What can be done regarding the Debian policies ? I guess the first
solution won't made it but for the rest...
Michel, are you interested in working on it ? anybody ?
> Earthling Michel Dänzer | http://www.vmware.com
> Libre software enthusiast | Debian, X and DRI developer