Re: Status of libxaw8 for xorg 7.0

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:50:51PM +0200, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 08:01:24PM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > IIRC and please correct me if I'm wrong here, libxaw8 is not part of
> > Xorg 7.0. There are 26 packages in unstable which build against libxaw8
> > and would be affected by the transition to xorg 7.0. Do you intend to
> > keep libxaw8 around or might it be a good idea to file  wishlist bugs
> > against these packages now to request a build against libxaw7 instead of
> > libxaw8?
>
> It is.  The only difference between 7 and 8 is the addition of the
> Xprint-based PrintShell classes.
>
> There are some of us that consider Xprint deprecated and wish to remove
> it.  This is what I did with Ubuntu (we eventually started shipping
> libxp6 under sufferance, but have never shipped libxaw8), so if the
> XSF's decision is that Xprint should not be used, then libxaw8 should
> indeed be removed, and packages using it be recompiled against libxaw7.
>
> If, however, that is not the XSF's view, then libxaw8 should probably be
> sticking around.

To be honest, I'd love to kill xaw8, but I still haven't done the survey of
packages depending on it to see if any actually need this feature. I doubt
any of them do, but I want to be sure of it. Mainly my hesitation about
killing xprint in Debian now is that cairo isn't really deployed in full
with printing support yet, so there's no great replacement available and
tested. As much as I wish it were so, it's not.

Ender started to tell people not to use xaw8 without the survey a few
months ago, then when I asked him to ask around about it first he vanished.
So I'll try and put together the email tonight.

This is about the only thing really holding back the upload of modular to
unstable in my eyes because I ignored xprint for as long as I could...

 - David Nusinow