Re: Status of libxaw8 for xorg 7.0

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 08:01:24PM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> IIRC and please correct me if I'm wrong here, libxaw8 is not part of
> Xorg 7.0. There are 26 packages in unstable which build against libxaw8
> and would be affected by the transition to xorg 7.0. Do you intend to
> keep libxaw8 around or might it be a good idea to file  wishlist bugs
> against these packages now to request a build against libxaw7 instead of
> libxaw8?

It is.  The only difference between 7 and 8 is the addition of the
Xprint-based PrintShell classes.

There are some of us that consider Xprint deprecated and wish to remove
it.  This is what I did with Ubuntu (we eventually started shipping
libxp6 under sufferance, but have never shipped libxaw8), so if the
XSF's decision is that Xprint should not be used, then libxaw8 should
indeed be removed, and packages using it be recompiled against libxaw7.

If, however, that is not the XSF's view, then libxaw8 should probably be
sticking around.

Cheers,
Daniel