Re: X.org Packaging Roadmap

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 01:02:29PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> X11R7 will release on August 19th; the protocol headers and libraries
> are basically done today.  The architecture for the server is fine, and
> I've been tweaking things until they work, but it will need a reasonable
> amount of porting love, in terms of instructing the code about the host
> system, as the server needs very intimate knowledge of the system.

Ok, given this I think we should begin with the monolithic tree. I feel
that we need to get this moving along, and waiting on the autotooling
doesn't make sense when we have useable packages to start from. Do you
think you could push your autotool server tree in to your public arch repo
where you keep debrix so I could take a look at it? I'd be willing to work,
at least on the X server, on packages from both the monolithic and modular
tree in parallel.

Perhaps packages derived from the monolithic tree shouldn't ever leave
experimental, but at least they'd be available.

> Most of the apps aren't autotooled (which is probably indicative of the
> fact that no-one actually cares), but they're utterly trivial to do.

Perhaps someone who's interested in maintaining the apps for Debian would
be willing to help?

 - David Nusinow