Re: X.org Packaging Roadmap

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 06:45:58PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
>  1) Import Ubuntu packaging for X.org in to our svn repo wholesale. Whether
>     this should be from the Hoary release package, or the most recent
> 	develpoment tree, I don't know, and I'd like to hear from Daniel on
> 	what he thinks.

I have packages to kick-start the modular tree transition on my laptop.
Right now, however, the best base to use would be 6.8.2-10.

>  2) Make any necessary changes for them to be Debian, rather than Ubuntu
>     packages. These should not be major, but more akin to a re-branding.

Another interesting question is what to do with version numbers, since
6.8.2-1 will suddenly become ambiguous.

>  3) Make sure they build on x86, ppc, and whatever else we have lying
>     around collectively. Also make sure they install properly.

Ubuntu is actually a step ahead of Debian here in that we do source-only
uploads, so every arch gets autobuilt: it's fine on amd64, i386,
powerpc, sparc, and ia64.  hppa should also be alright.

>  5) With packages in place, we can go about making sure that all the
>     changes made to the Ubuntu packages are good for Debian. I have complete
>     faith in Daniel and Fabio's work, but I think we need to re-evaluate it. I
>     know Branden has expressed that he wants to be aware of what's been done,
>     and I need a chance to learn the X server, so this will be a good
>     opportunity for both.
>
> 	During this phase, we can also do things like add the massive
> 	commentary to debian/control that Branden has begun already in the
> 	X.org branch of his svn repo. I think this is a good idea personally,
> 	but it's not pressing that it's available in the first upload to
> 	experimental.

It's obviously valuable work, but I think blocking the support of newer
ATI, Intel and nVidia cards on it is utterly suicidal.  Right now,
you basically cannot purchase a laptop that will work out of the box
under Debian.

> Now, I haven't been following the xorg modularization list (I did subscribe
> finally though) so I don't know the progress on that. I think it'll be a
> good idea to begin packaging it once things begin to take shape. Since a
> lot of the work has already been done by Daniel for his debrix tree, we
> should be able to figure out the basics of what we'll need to do. I think
> that we should start a branch for the modular tree once the tree itself
> begins to take enough of a shape that we can work on it. We can worry about
> transitioning to it once we actually can see what's going on. If we release
> etch with packages derived from the monolithic tree, so be it.

I've been working upstream on the modular tree on my week off, and the
libs are done, and the server is well on the way.

Josh Triplett and I seem to be doing packaging in parallel, largely
because I've been very, very slack on getting my packages to him.

> Comments? I'm more than happy to start the importing and such if I get svn
> access, but I'd like to hear what other people think.

As always, you know my email address if you need to ask questions, but
at this stage, the effort is utterly uninteresting to me, due to the
fact I'm not allowed to get involved in any meaningful way.  I'll keep
on playing in my own little world.