Re: X.org Packaging Roadmap

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:38:09PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 06:45:58PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> >  1) Import Ubuntu packaging for X.org in to our svn repo wholesale. Whether
> >     this should be from the Hoary release package, or the most recent
> > 	develpoment tree, I don't know, and I'd like to hear from Daniel on
> > 	what he thinks.
>
> I have packages to kick-start the modular tree transition on my laptop.
> Right now, however, the best base to use would be 6.8.2-10.

Sounds good. Not sure what to do about your modular packages yet though,
but tackling one thing at a time is probably best.

> >  2) Make any necessary changes for them to be Debian, rather than Ubuntu
> >     packages. These should not be major, but more akin to a re-branding.
>
> Another interesting question is what to do with version numbers, since
> 6.8.2-1 will suddenly become ambiguous.

You mean an ambiguity between the ubuntu and debian packages? Maybe for
these we can just append dfsg to the version or something, as in the past.
If we can make this go away completely for the 7.x release, that'd be
awesome.

> >  3) Make sure they build on x86, ppc, and whatever else we have lying
> >     around collectively. Also make sure they install properly.
>
> Ubuntu is actually a step ahead of Debian here in that we do source-only
> uploads, so every arch gets autobuilt: it's fine on amd64, i386,
> powerpc, sparc, and ia64.  hppa should also be alright.

Good to hear, and hopefully we can get some testers on these arches.

> > 	During this phase, we can also do things like add the massive
> > 	commentary to debian/control that Branden has begun already in the
> > 	X.org branch of his svn repo. I think this is a good idea personally,
> > 	but it's not pressing that it's available in the first upload to
> > 	experimental.
>
> It's obviously valuable work, but I think blocking the support of newer
> ATI, Intel and nVidia cards on it is utterly suicidal.  Right now,
> you basically cannot purchase a laptop that will work out of the box
> under Debian.

Agreed. I've seen too many people in #debian wanting or needing X.org
packages.

> I've been working upstream on the modular tree on my week off, and the
> libs are done, and the server is well on the way.

Awesome.

> Josh Triplett and I seem to be doing packaging in parallel, largely
> because I've been very, very slack on getting my packages to him.

Which is why we need to get you guys working from the same tree :-)

> As always, you know my email address if you need to ask questions, but
> at this stage, the effort is utterly uninteresting to me, due to the
> fact I'm not allowed to get involved in any meaningful way.  I'll keep
> on playing in my own little world.

We'll work something out.

 - David Nusinow