Re: X.org Packaging Roadmap

>>>>> "daniel" == Daniel Stone <daniel@fooishbar.org> writes:

    daniel> I've been working upstream on the modular tree on my week
    daniel> off, and the libs are done, and the server is well on the
    daniel> way.

    >>  How far we currently are from modular tree? If it's not so
    >> far, could be better we help and improve it's speed and then
    >> use it directly inside of Debian. What you think?

    daniel> X11R7 will release on August 19th; the protocol headers
    daniel> and libraries are basically done today.  The architecture
    daniel> for the server is fine, and I've been tweaking things
    daniel> until they work, but it will need a reasonable amount of
    daniel> porting love, in terms of instructing the code about the
    daniel> host system, as the server needs very intimate knowledge
    daniel> of the system.

    daniel> Most of the apps aren't autotooled (which is probably
    daniel> indicative of the fact that no-one actually cares), but
    daniel> they're utterly trivial to do.

    Well, looks like we aren't so far to have it working then.

    I see two possible ways to go, and I prefer the secound:

     - We package the current release of X.org and start to work on
       the modular tree after it;

     - We start to package the modular treee now and helps to solve
       the pending problems. So, like others packages, we can use CVS
       snapshots in the meantime and on August we will have it
       ready. We won't have the each released before August so this
       doesn't cause any more serious problem IMHO.

   What you and the others think about it?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116