Re: X.org Packaging Roadmap

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 11:46:49PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>     daniel> Another interesting question is what to do with version
>     daniel> numbers, since 6.8.2-1 will suddenly become ambiguous.
>
>     Well, one possible solution could be use 6.8.2.debian-1 as version.

This works well for me.

>     daniel> I've been working upstream on the modular tree on my week
>     daniel> off, and the libs are done, and the server is well on the
>     daniel> way.
>
>     How far we currently are from modular tree? If it's not so far,
>     could be better we help and improve it's speed and then use it
>     directly inside of Debian. What you think?

X11R7 will release on August 19th; the protocol headers and libraries
are basically done today.  The architecture for the server is fine, and
I've been tweaking things until they work, but it will need a reasonable
amount of porting love, in terms of instructing the code about the host
system, as the server needs very intimate knowledge of the system.

Most of the apps aren't autotooled (which is probably indicative of the
fact that no-one actually cares), but they're utterly trivial to do.